This is not available as a Single Subject.
Main Aims of the Unit:
Students undertaking this unit need to select a specific computer project. This is likely to relate to a particular local organisation or company and will be used to analyse and solve a given problem.
Learning Outcomes for the Unit:
At the end of this Unit, students will be able to:
- Implement techniques learnt in other units to formulate potential solutions
- Integrate knowledge from a wide range of sources
- Write a concise report addressing the key issues
- Analyse a range of solutions to make informed recommendations
- Manage their own time and resources in the completion of the report
The numbers below show which of the above module learning outcomes are related to particular cognitive and key skills:
- Knowledge & Understanding 1, 2, 3, 4
- Analysis 4
- Synthesis/Creativity 2
- Evaluation 3, 4
- Interactive & group Skills –
- Self-appraisal/Reflection on Practice 5
- Planning and Management of Learning 5
- Problem Solving 4
- Communication & Presentation 3
- Other skills (please specify) –
Learning and teaching methods/strategies used to enable the achievement of learning outcomes:
Learning takes place on a number of levels through lectures, class discussion including problem review and analysis. Formal lectures provide a foundation of information on which the student builds through directed learning and self managed learning outside of the class. The students are actively encouraged to form study groups to discuss course material which fosters a greater depth learning experience.
Assessment methods weightings which enable students to demonstrate the learning outcomes of the Unit:
Written report 100%
(Note: 25% of the overall mark may be obtained from presenting the report to a local independent panel.)
Guideline for Teaching and Learning Time (10 hours per credit)
Lectures / Seminars / Tutorials / Workshops: 50 hours
Tutorial support includes feedback on project proposals and continuing supervision through the study.
Directed learning: 50 hours
Advance reading and preparation / Class preparation / Background reading / Specific research and development of overall project
Self managed learning: 100 hours
Working through the course text and completing the research methodology. In addition students are expected to engage with the tutor and other students and to ensure that the study is progressing satisfactorily.
Indicative Reading for this Unit:
Corporate Finance: 2nd European edition 2013, Hillier, D., Ross, S., Westerfield, R., Jaffe, J. and Jordan, B., McGraw Hill